Digital Issue 13.1
Between Art and Activism
- The International Federation for Theatre Research‘s “Queer Futures” working group responds to the shooting in an LGBTQI nightclub in Orlando, Florida, on June 12, which cost 49 queer people their lives.
- John Kim Bell shares his own difficult journey as an Aboriginal artist in his letter urging Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission to enable Aboriginal self-determination and build capacity within the Indigenous community.
- Sky Gilbert endeavours to resolve the transgender theory debate through the notion of fiction’s potential for limitless self-creation.
- Catherine Hernandez attempts to decolonize theatre, one question at a time.
- Cole Alvis reflects on artists’ and audiences’ responsibility in understanding the histories and treaties of the land on which we stand.
- Gail Nyoka on the tenth Women Playwright’s International Conference.
- Book Review: Kerry McElroy reviews Like a Natural Woman: Spectacular Female Performance in Classical Hollywood.