Job Posting: Associate Editor (Reviews) Apply Now!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
alt.theatre: cultural diversity and the stage, Canada’s only professional publication dedicated to the intersections of politics, cultural diversity, social activism and performance, is accepting applications for the position of Associate Editor (Reviews).
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Associate Editor (Reviews) is a core member of the alt.theatre Editorial Team, which currently includes the Editor in Chief, Associate Editor (Features) and Web Editor. alt.theatre typically publishes two performance and/or publication reviews per issue; the magazine releases three issues per year. This is currently an unpaid position best suited for a tenured or stably appointed academic interested in contributing to artistic and academic communities through professional service. The position will hopefully be remunerated in the future.
- commissioning reviews of performances from across Canada and, when involving practitioners who work mainly in Canada, from abroad;
- commissioning reviews of books and other publications – such as ‘zines, web-based projects, and creative works – relating to theatre and performance;
- editing reviews in correspondence with reviewers;
- establishing and maintaining relationships with performance companies and publishers;
- with the Web Editor, identifying alt blog reviews as potential material for the print magazine;
- working with the Editorial Team to plan special series and issues;
- maintaining a high level of engagement with contemporary practice, practitioners, events, movements, politics and thought in Canada as supports alt’s vision.
Founded in 1998, alt.theatre: cultural diversity and the stage is essential reading for artists, activists and academics. A hybrid publication, alt.theatre is both journal and magazine, which informs, entertains, and hosts and provokes dialogue through the channels of print, web interface, and multimedia. alt.theatre is published tri-annually by Teesri Duniya Theatre – an intercultural theatre company with a mandate to produce socially engaged theatre that reflects Canada’s social and cultural diversity. alt.theatre is indexed in the MLA international bibliography. More information is available at https://alttheatre.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is March 22, 2019. Applications must include a resume and a detailed letter of application addressing relevant skills, experience, and abilities (max. 2 pages). Applicants should be able to speak to their vision for the Reviews Editor role, and the role of alt.theatre in performance practice, research, and activism in Canada. Please send applications to Editor Aaron Franks at: email@example.com
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview by phone or Skype in early April, and the start date is April 15th, 2019. Successful candidates should be able to offer a substantive list of possibilities for reviewers and texts to commission as soon as their term begins.